Friday, December 11, 2009

Darwin Award: Dumbest Accidental Deaths.

A "Darwin Award" is an honor named after evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin, given for people who "do a service to humanity by accidentally removing themselves from the gene pool" (i.e. lose the ability to reproduce either by death or sterilization in a stupid fashion). According to Wendy Northcutt, author of the Darwin Award books: "TheAwards honor people who ensure the long-term survival of the human race by removing themselves from the gene pool in a sublimely idiotic fashion." Example of Darwin award winners include:
Jumping out of a plane to film skydivers without wearing a parachute (U.S., 1987); Trying to get enough light to look down the barrel of a loaded muzzleloader gun using a cigarette lighter (U.S., 1996); Attempting to play Russian roulette with a semi-automatic pistol that automatically loads the next round into the chamber.

Each year, one award is selected as being much more "honorable" than the rest, and it is crowned as the "Darwin Award of the Year". In 2007, the winner was "The Enema Within", in which a man died of alcohol poisoning after having two 1.5 litre bottles (over 100 fluid ounces) of sherry inserted anally. 


3 comments:

  1. When will you post another video, its been such a long time.

    We all miss you, hope you had a great Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope there's chlorine in that water it's going to be messy

    ReplyDelete